Application for a place to study in a higher semester in human medicine or dentistry
Applicants who have already started their intended studies at another university and would like to change their location of study can apply for a higher semester. Applications must be submitted directly to the MHH via an online form (German only).
- Winter term: from 01.06. to 15.07.
- Summer term: from 01.12. to 15.01. of the following year
Please note that due to the large number of applicants, it is not possible to submit documents later and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Further information on the application for a higher semester
An admission for a higher semester is only possible under the following conditions:
- suffient creditable study periods
- application for the next higher semester (on the basis of creditable study periods)¹
- if necessary, proof of intermediate examination (Preliminary Dental Examamination (Zahnärztliche Vorprüfung) or 1st section of the Medical Examination)²
- if necessary, proof of sufficient knowledge of German (certificate from category A or A+)
- there must be sufficient places to study available in the semester applied for.
¹ Please note that an application is only possible for the next higher semester. The basis for determining the relevant semester is the semester stated on the enrolment certificate or the number of semesters credited in the certificate of crediting issued by the State Examination Office, regardless of your actual level of performance.
² Human Medicine: An application beyond the 2nd academic year (4th semester) is only possible if you have completed the 1st section of the Medical Examination or the 2nd section of the Medical Examination for an application beyond the 5th academic year (10th semester) before the application deadline.
Dentistry: An application for the 6th semester (1st clinical semester) is only possible if the Preliminary Dental Examination (Zahnärztliche Vorprüfung) has been completed before the application deadline. The proof must be submitted with the application by the end of the application deadline.
- Applicants who have already studied the desired subject in Germany do not have to apply for credit at the LPA.
- Applicants who have already studied the desired subject abroad or a related subject at home or abroad have to apply for credit transfer at the responsible state examination office (= Landesprüfungsamt (LPA))
Responsible State Examination Office
- German applicants: Landesprüfungsamt located in the federal state in which they were born
- International applicants:
- Human medicine: LPA Nordrhein Westfalen - Düsseldorf
- Dentistry: LPA in Thuringa (Thüringen)
We expressly point out that the crediting of academic achievements and the associated recommendation for placement does not imply any confirmation of a place to study at the MHH for study courses with restricted admission.
The academic year at the MHH always begins in the winter term. Therefore, only applications for the following higher semesters are possible:
As already mentioned, please use our online form (German only) to apply for a higher semester in the following period:
Winter term: 01.06. to 15.07. (23:59 h)
Summer term: 01.12. to 15.01. (23:59 h) of the following year
Documents to be submitted:
- Higher education entrance qualification (HZB)
- If applicable, language certificate if you have not acquired your HZB in German language (category A or A+)
- Certificate of crediting from the state examination office (Landesprüfungsamt) or current certificate of enrolment (depending on previous studies)
- If applicable, proof of passing the "First Section of the Medical Examination" (for applications in the 5th semester or higher in human medicine).
- If applicable, proof of passing the "Preliminary Dental Examination (Zahnärztliche Vorprüfung)" (for applications to the clinical study section of dentistry).
Please do not submit any additional documents unless you are specifically requested to do so.
Please also note that due to the large number of applicants, it is not possible to submit documents later, especially not after the application deadline has expired.
When applying for a higher semester, there are no separate applications for hardship cases at the MHH, as these hardship cases are covered by the local and social criteria. You can select the following local and social criteria for your application:
1. I am a severely disabled person or on a par with a severely disabled person.
- Proof: Copy of the severely disabled person's identity card
2. I have my main flat with my spouse and/or child in one of the administrative districts assigned to the location of study Hannover.
The region Hannover as well as the districts Celle, Hameln-Pyrmont, Harburg, Heidekreis, Hildesheim, Lüneburg, Nienburg (Weser), Rotenburg (Wümme), Schaumburg and Verden are assigned to the location of study Hannover.
- Proof: Registration certificate of the responsible citizen's office as well as a copy of the marriage certificate and/or copy of the birth certificate of the child/children.
3. Health, special social or family circumstances which would lead to considerable disadvantages if studies were to be continued in another location.
- Proof: e.g. registration certificate, specialist's medical report, certificates from social or youth welfare offices as well as an explanation of the considerable disadvantages.
4. I have my main residence in Lower Saxony.
- Proof: Registration certificate of the responsible citizen's office
5. Other reasons
- Proof: written declaration on your part on a separate sheet of paper
A decision on the allocation of free places to study will be made at the earliest on the dates mentioned below (exception: "Practical Year"). Please refrain from further inquiries until this time!
- Winter term: End of September
- Summer term: End of March
The different curricula of the universities usually lead to longer study periods when students switch to the model programme. Please inform yourself about the curricula on the home page of the Dean's Office of Studies and only apply if you are willing to accept a longer duration of studies. You can find further information on the creditability of academic perfomances in the event of a change of university here (Study from A to Z, under "Uniwechsel").
Due to the large number of applications, it is unfortunately not possible to check in advance the extent of the prolongation of study time.
Any unsuccessful attempts to obtain proof of performance from other universities will be credited.
According to the study regulations for dentistry at the MHH, courses and internships can only be repeated once in the pre-clinical phase and twice in the clinical phase. Unsuccessful attempts to obtain proof of performance at other universities will be counted towards the number of participation opportunities.
In order to enrol for the 6th academic year (Practical Year) at the MHH, you must also apply in the application period by 15 January (for the summer term) or 15 July (for the winter term) at the latest using the online form. Please note that you must book your places for the Practical Year at the same time (either via the PJ-portal or according to the specifications of the respective universities).
Furthermore, we ask you to contact the PY office as soon as possible after your application with regard to the content planning of the Practical Year (Ms Britta Minx, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 0511/532-9042).