Application for a place to study at 1st semester in human medicine or dentistry
Applicants from non-EU countries must apply via the agency uni-assist.
You can apply during the following periods
- from 01.04. to 31.05. for a place to study in the winter term
- from 01.04. to 15.07. for the Studienkolleg in the winter term
- from 01.10. to 15.01. for the Studienkolleg in the summer term (only an application for the Studienkolleg is possible, not for a place to study!)
You can check here whether you can study directly in Germany with your certificates or whether you have to attend the Studienkolleg first. More information on the Studienkolleg can be found further down on this page.
► Please note: you can only apply for one course of study.
A decision on admission or rejection is expected at the end of August. Until then, we ask you to refrain from enquiries.
Information on application
1. Uni-assist carries out a preliminary examination of your application documents. Uni-assist will check
- if the documents are handed in completely and
- if you meet the requirements for admission to a course of study or Studienkolleg (until application deadline).
2. If you meet the requirements for admission, uni-assist will forward your application to the MHH. The Registrar's office will then
- select the applicants for the course of study (according to the selection regulations for international applicants (German only)) or
- registers them with the Studienkolleg (you will receive a feedback approx. 4 weeks after the application deadline).
- admission to the course of studies (around mid of August) or
- the invitation to the Studienkolleg (approx. end of February (for the summer term) or until approx. end of August (for the winter term))
will be sent by email by the MHH.
To apply, you must submit the following documents to uni-assist:
- Proof of eligibility to study (e.g. school reports, entrance examinations for a course of study, proof of previous studies)
- Proof of German language proficiency provided by certificates (proof of participation in a language course is not sufficient) from category A or A+ from this plan.
- Proof of passing the TestAS with the test module "Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences" in German language and the corresponding test results. Further information on TestAS can be found here.
General information on the language certificate can be found here. Please note that the teaching language is German and that no preparatory German courses or German language tests are held at the MHH. Information on German language courses in Hannover can be found on the website of Leibniz Universität Hannover.
Please note: it is not possible to submit documents after the application deadline.
Information on Studienkolleg and Feststellungsprüfung
Students coming from countries, that are not member states of the European Union (EU) and who do not have the academic standard required for direct university entrance, can attend a Studienkolleg to prepare for the degree courses at universities in Germany. An university entrance exam at the end of the two semester course provides successful students with a certificate (= Feststellungsprüfung, FSP) that enables them to study the chosen degree course at any German university. After receiving the certificate of FSP, applicants have to apply again for a place to study via uni-assist.
The Studienkolleg is a central part of Leibniz University Hannover. In addition to the Studienkolleg Hannover, there are other Studienkollegs in Germany. Registration for the Studienkolleg always takes place via the universities in the respective federal state.
In order to be able to apply for a place to study at the MHH in Human Medicine or Dentistry after successful completion of the Studienkolleg, you must attend the so-called M-course (for medical and biological study courses) or a comparable course at a different Studienkolleg. Please contact the Studienkolleg directly for further information on the preparatory course M-course:
Am Kleinen Felde 30
D - 30167 Hannover
Monday - Thursday 11:00 – 13:00 o'clock
In order to apply for Studienkolleg, you need to hold a certificate at least from category C+. Experience has shown that applicants with language skills from category C, D+ or D will not succed the admission test for Studienkolleg in order to be admitted to it. Moreover, if the student starts the course at the Studienkolleg with barely sufficient knowledge of German, it is likely that the overall result of the Feststellungsprüfung will not be sufficient for admission to medical studies. Uni-assist will therefore only forward documents of applicants with language skills from category C+ or higher (= at least level B2 certificates).
Please note that the language requirements at the Studienkolleg might deviate. Click here for further information (German only).
The Studienkolleg concludes with an university entrance exam, the so-called Feststellungsprüfung (FSP). The university entrance exam takes place twice a year - in spring and autumn. It is conducted in four or five subjects, which are oriented towards the desired subject of study. The FSP can be repeated once, usually at the earliest after six months, before the same examination board. Depending on the subject of study, the following subjects are tested in the written examination:
Course M - medical and biological Studies
for applicants in the following fields of study:
Medicine, Pharmacy, Biology, Agricultural Sciences, Forest Sciences, etc.
- Mathematics or physics (at the choice of the candidate)
- Chemistry or biology (at the choice of the examinee)
The duration of the written examination is 4 hours in German and 3 hours in the other subjects. The oral examination covers the subjects of the written examination as well as the subjects not chosen in the written examination in the M course. The examination time is 20 minutes, the preparation time also 20 minutes.
Further information: https://www.stk.uni-hannover.de/feststellungsprfung.html
In order to receive an invitation to the external university entrance exam (= externe Feststellungsprüfung), please apply via uni-assist which will check your application documents. Once you have received the test report from uni-assist, please send it to us via email at email@example.com, Subject: Invitation to external university entrance exam (= externe Feststellungsprüfung).
If your documents have been positively assessed, we will send you a so-called pre-registration for the external university entrance exam for course type M as well as a letter of invitation to the Information and Test Day of the Studienkolleg. The Information and Test Day takes place approximately two months before the university entrance exam and participation is compulsory for applicants!
Once you have passed the university entrance exam, you must re-apply for a place to study via Uni Assist. Further and general information on the external university entrance exam can be found here.
The overall grade for the application is determined from the grade of your foreign high school diploma and the grade of the Studienkolleg certificate with 50 % each and thus results in the overall grade of the "German" university entrance qualification.