Application for a place to study in a higher semester
Human medicine or dentistry
Applicants who have already started their desired course of study at another university and would like to change their location of study can apply for a higher semester. Applications must be submitted directly to the MHH via an online portal (German only). All documents needed for the application have to be uploaded here.
- Winter term: from 01.06. to 15.07.
- Summer term: from 01.12. to 15.01. of the following year
Please note that due to the large number of applicants, it is not possible to submit any document later and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Any documents required will be requested by email by the Registrar's Office (via the email address you gave at application).
Before applying, please also be sure to read the "Further information on the model programme in Human medicine (HannibaL)" below regarding the information on the creditability of achievements in the case of a change of university. Please pay particular attention to the information on the M1 and taking the module examinations if you do not have the M1!
Further information on the application for a higher semester
An admission for a higher semester is only possible on the following conditions:
- sufficient creditable study achievements
- if necessary, proof of intermediate examination (Preliminary Dental Examination (Zahnärztliche Vorprüfung) or 1st section of the Medical Examination)¹
- if necessary, proof of sufficient knowledge of German (certificate from category A or A+)
- there must be sufficient places to study available in the semester applied for.
¹ Human Medicine: An application beyond the 2nd academic year (4th semester) is only possible if you have completed the 1st section of the Medical Examination. If the 2nd section of the Medical Examination has not been completed before the application deadline, admissions for the 5th academic year (10th semester) will only be provisional.
Dentistry: An application for the 6th semester (1st clinical semester) is only possible if the Preliminary Dental Examination (Zahnärztliche Vorprüfung) has been completed before the application deadline. The proof must be submitted with the application by the end of the application deadline.
- Applicants who have already studied the desired subject in Germany do not have to apply for credit at the LPA.
- Applicants who have already studied the desired subject abroad or a related subject in Germany or abroad have to apply for credit transfer at the responsible state examination office (= Landesprüfungsamt (LPA))
Responsible State Examination Office
- German applicants: Landesprüfungsamt located in the federal state in which they were born
- International applicants: LPA North Rhine-Westphalia (Nordrhein Westfalen) - Düsseldorf
We expressively point out that the crediting of academic achievements and the associated recommendation for placement does not imply any confirmation of a place to study at the MHH for study courses with restricted admission.
The academic year at the MHH always begins in the winter term. Therefore, only applications for the following higher semesters are possible:
3., 5., 7., 9., 11. semester and for the Practical Year
3., 5., 7. and 9. semester (= 3. and 5. pre-clinical semester, 2. and 4. clinical semester)
2., 4., 6., 8., 10. semester and for the Practical Year
2., 4., 6., 8. and 10. Semester (= 2. and 4. pre-clinical semester, 1. and 3. clinical semester)
As already mentioned, please use our online portal (German only) to apply for a higher semester in the following period:
Winter term: 01.06. to 15.07. (23:59 h)
Summer term: 01.12. to 15.01. (23:59 h) of the following year
Documents to be submitted:
- University entrance qualification (HZB)
- If applicable, language certificate if you have not acquired your HZB in German language (category A or A+)
- If applicable, proof of reasons for change
Please do not submit any additional documents unless you are specifically requested to do so.
Please also note that due to the large number of applicants, it is not possible to submit any non-requested document later, especially not after the application deadline has expired.
The proofs of achievement will be requested by the Registrar's Office by email after a preliminary check of the admission requirements. Therefore, please regularly check the e-mail box specified for the application.
For the selection within the context of admission, the following reasons for change will be positively considered in general. You can also state several reasons for the change, this will have a correspondingly positive effect on your chances of admission.
Please note that you must provide proof of the respective reasons for the change. You must upload the proof in the application form.
Important: You cannot apply for a hardship case if your situation is covered by the reasons for change.
1. Work and/or vocational training at MHH
- Proof: Employment or training contract or reference letter
2. Residence of the child in Hannover Region*
- Proof: Registration certificate of the responsible citizen's office and/or copy of the birth certificate of the child/children.
3. Caring for relatives in the Hannover Region*
- Proof: Statement of the attending physician or the health insurance company.
4. Own health impairment (severe disability or chronic illness), which has generally been permanently treated by a medical professional in the Hannover Region* for at least 18 months
- Proof: Statement of the attending doctor and, if applicable, medical findings
* The region Hanover is composed of 21 cities and municipalities. Please find an overview here.
A decision on the allocation of free places to study will be made at the earliest on the dates mentioned below (exception: "Practical Year"). Please refrain from further inquiries until this time!
- Winter term: End of September
- Summer term: End of March
The different curricula of the universities usually lead to longer study periods when students switch to the model programme. Please obtain more information about the curricula on the homepage of the Dean's Office of Studies and only apply if you are willing to accept a longer duration of studies. You can find further information on the creditability of academic perfomances in the event of changing university here (Study from A to Z, ► "Uniwechsel").
Due to the large number of applicants, the extent of the prolongation cannot be checked in advance.
Any unsuccessful attempts to obtain proof of performance from other universities will be credited.
According to the study regulations for dentistry at the MHH, courses and internships can only be repeated once in the pre-clinical phase and twice in the clinical phase. Unsuccessful attempts to obtain proof of performance at other universities will be counted towards the number of participation opportunities.
The annual (not semester-based) range of courses on offer can lead to an prolongation of the study period in the event of a change. Due to the large number of applicants, the extent of the prolongation cannot be checked in advance. Please only apply if you are prepared to accept an extension of the study period.
In order to enrol for the 6th academic year (Practical Year) at the MHH, you must also apply within the above-mentioned application period at the latest using the online portal. Please note that you must book your places for the Practical Year at the same time (either via the PJ-portal or according to the specifications of the respective universities).
Furthermore, we ask you to contact the PY office as soon as possible after your application with regard to the content planning of the Practical Year (Ms Britta Minx, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 0511/532-9042).