Prof. Dr. rer. nat.
Tel: +49 511 532 -6396, -6397 (office)
Fax: +49 511 532 -4296
address: 30625 Hannover, Carl-Neuberg-Str.1, Germany
office: Fritz-Hartmann-Zentrum, building J03, level 03, room 1010
- 1981 - 1986 Studied Biology at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg and the Eberhard-Karls-University of Tübingen.
- 1986 Diploma thesis at the Institute of Physiology I, University of Tübingen. Topic: Immunohistological examinations of the organ culture from the thoracic aorta of the rabbit.
- 1987 - 1990 Doctorate at the Institute of Physiology II, University of Tübingen. Topic: Calcium Regulation of Striated Muscle Contraction. Mechanical and X-ray diffraction analysis of membrane-skinned single fibers of rabbit psoas muscle (summa cum laude).
- 1990-1994 Several 2-month research stays in the Laboratory of Physical Biology which was led by Dr. R. Podolsky, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Bethesda, MD, USA
- 1994-1995 Visiting Postdoctoral Fellow in the Laboratory of Physical Biology with Dr. L. C. Yu, NIAMS, National Institutes of Health (NIH), Bethesda, USA.
Project: 2D X-ray diffraction studies on individual skeletal muscle fibers of the rabbit with the aim to investigate the role of weak binding cross-bridge states for force generation.
- May 2001 Habilitation at Hannover Medical School, Institute of Molecular and Cell Physiology. Topic: Muscle Contraction. Molecular Physiological Aspects of Force Development and its Regulation and teaching qualification Venia legendi for Physiology.
Appointment as an adjunct professor (Apl. Professor)
- April 2006 Appointment as adjunct professor at the Institute of Molecular and Cell Physiology, Hannover Medical School.
Appointment to W2 professorship in Physiology
- December 2008 Appointment to the W2 professorship "Physiology" at the Institute of Molecular and Cell Physiology, Hannover Medical School.
Director of the institute
- January 2018 Director of the Institute of Molecular and Cell Physiology.
Other professional activities
- since 2002 member of the PhD committee III / 75 (3.6.5) of Hannover Medical School
- since 2007 member of the scientific advisory board of the central research workshops of Hannover Medical School
- since 2007 member of Section 1 of the Senate of Hannover Medical School, since 2015 deputy chairwoman of Section 1
- since 2019 chairwoman of Section 1
- since 2009 examiner in doctoral exams at the Faculty of Natural Sciences at Leibniz University Hannover
- since 2010 review editor in “Frontiers in Cardiac Muscle Physiology”
- since 2018 member of the editorial board of “Biophysical Reviews”
- since 2013 member and examiner in the doctoral committee for Dr. rer. nat. of Hannover Medical School
- since 2013 member of the Medicine Study Commission of Hannover Medical School
- since 2017 member of the Biomedicine Study Commission of Hannover Medical School
- since 2017 member of the board of directors of the Central Facility Biology of the Leibniz University, Hannover Veterinary School and Hannover Medical School
- Reviewer for numerous specialist journals, third-party funding providers and research foundations
Current scientific focus
- Pathomechanisms of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, physiology and pathophysiology of skeletal muscle fibers and human cardiomyocytes, molecular aspects of contraction and motility